Monday, May 08, 2006

Why can't we elect veterans any more?

ILLUSTRATED: There are currently 55 Democratic governors, senators, and representatives under the age of 50, ZERO served in the military.

I just spent an hour on a research project thumbing through the 2006 Almanac of American Politics. I wanted to know how many of our party's governors, senators and US representatives under 50 served in the military. The answer: 0 for 55.

I have known there was a problem with our party and the military post Vietnam, but I did not realize how bad it is. We can't elect any veterans to high office in the generation after the Vietnam draft.

War in the Middle East and against terrorists will be with us for the foreseeable future. I hope these "Fighting Dems" get elected to the House this fall. We need candidates who personafy the times we live in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home